October 29, 2009

Objectivism

Now, I know that Ayn Rand draws some criticism.

But is an exclamation that "Both male and female versions of Ayn-Rand fans exemplify failed human beings with zip imagination and zero creativity" really necessary?

I have to say, I love both Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. They are amazing books, and provide a world-view different from what I am used to hearing. Admittedly, I am not an Ayn Rand scholar. I know very little about the Objectivism philosophy. I understand that some of what Rand believes runs counter to my beliefs. However, I do believe there is a fair amount of virtue in selfishness. I believe people should strive for independence and self-reliance. However, a person who is unable to be self-reliant should not be frowned on. I do believe a little friendly assistance is necessary (I know, so not Ayn Randian!)

I'm a feminist, an academic, a liberal, and I read and love me some Ayn Rand. Eeek!
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment